If you are arriving from the North or East …
….. we strongly recommend that you follow a route on the M5 towards Tiverton and Exeter. The following instructions are not necessarily the shortest route, but they are tried and tested and follow the best roads. We strongly recommend you follow these directions rather than your Sat Nav as some of the roads near The Barton are very narrow and rough single track lanes with very few passing places; Sat Nav systems do not take this into account!
- Take Junction 27 from the M5 onto the A361 (the North Devon Link Road). Continue on this road for approximately 8 miles until you reach a large roundabout. Take the first exit towards the centre of Tiverton.
- At the first major roundabout you reach (by the sports centre), turn right. You are looking for the B3137 signposted to Withleigh and Witheridge. Pass the Morrison supermarket on the left and the hospital on the right and turn right at the next mini roundabout. Take the first main turning to the left (which is the B3137) towards Withleigh and Witheridge. Continue on this road for approximately 4 miles, passing through the village of Withleigh and, eventually, follow the road uphill through woodland.
- At the end of the woodland take a left turn, signposted to Pennymoor and Poughill and, on entering the village of Pennymoor, take a right turn and continue, passing the Cruwys Arms and Pennymoor Timber on your right.
- Continue out of the village towards Poughill, which you will reach after almost 3 miles.
- At the T-junction in Poughill, turn left, go through the village (passing the church on your left) and down the hill around a right sharp bend. The Barton is the first property on your right as you leave the village.
If you are arriving from the South or West ….
… we recommend that you first find your way to Crediton (rather than attempt the lanes) and follow our directions. We strongly recommend you follow these directions rather than your Sat Nav as some of the roads near The Barton are very narrow and rough single track lanes with very few passing places; Sat Nav systems do not take this into account!
- Leave Crediton on the A3072 in the direction of Bickleigh and Tiverton.
- After approximately 3.5 miles take a left turning at Coffintree Cross, signposted Cheriton Fitzpaine (and there is often a sign for Thorne’s farm shop on the junction) and continue to the village of Cheriton Fitzpaine
- Upon entering the village, drive straight across the staggered crossroads with the Half Moon Pub on the left and Pixie Cottage on the right.
- Take the first left turn, signposted Poughill. Follow this winding road for approximately 1.5 miles.
- The Barton is on your left before you enter the village of Poughill (if you pass the Poughill sign you have gone too far.)
The Post Code for The Barton is EX17 4LE
The 6 figure Grid Reference for The Barton is SS856081.
The Full Grid Reference for The Barton is X 285644 Y 108197
The What3Words reference for the Barton is scored.focus.slippers